Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory condition primarily affecting the spine and sacroiliac joints, causing stiffness, pain, and potential spinal fusion. Here’s a detailed breakdown:
- Genetic Predisposition: Ankylosing spondylitis often runs in families, suggesting a strong genetic link.
- Autoimmune Reaction: It involves an overactive immune system mistakenly attacking the body’s tissues, particularly impacting the spine and other joints.
- Back Pain and Stiffness: Persistent pain and stiffness, often exacerbated in the mornings or after inactivity.
- Reduced Mobility: Gradual limitation in spine flexibility due to new bone formation, potentially leading to a stooped posture.
- Joint Pain: Other joints like the hips, shoulders, and knees can also be affected.
- Fatigue: Feeling tired or fatigued is common.
Diagnosis and Treatment:
- Diagnosis: It involves a combination of medical history, physical examination, imaging tests (X-rays, MRIs), and blood tests to detect inflammation markers.
- Treatment: Aimed at managing symptoms and preventing complications, which often includes medications to reduce inflammation and pain, exercise programs to maintain flexibility and posture, physical therapy, and, in severe cases, corrective surgery for spinal deformities.
- Exercise: Regular physical activity and stretching routines help maintain flexibility and alleviate stiffness.
- Good Posture: Proper sitting and standing posture can significantly help in symptom management.
- Smoking Cessation: Quitting smoking can reduce disease activity and associated complications.
Ankylosing spondylitis necessitates ongoing management to control symptoms and avert complications. Through appropriate treatment, lifestyle adaptations, and consistent medical attention, individuals with ankylosing spondylitis can lead productive lives while effectively managing the impact of the condition on their daily activities.
Book Your Appointment Today!
Our team uses innovated technology, state of the art therapeutic machines, unique track records system to help you recover and improve overall health. Don’t believe us? come in for a visit or schedule a no obligation meet and greet with one of our professionals.